• Nationally, one in three girls will have been sexually abused by age 18. Studies indicate the number is slightly higher in Arizona
• Sexually abused girls are twice as likely to be depressed, smoke, drink alcohol, and use drugs. They are more likely to have sex at a young age, have several partners and less likely to use birth control
• It is estimated that one in seven boys will have been sexually abused by age 18. The actual number is probably higher, as boys tend to under report abuse.
• Adults who were molested as children may have eating disorders, be depressed or suicidal, and have difficulty holding a job or parenting a child properly.
• The cycle of physical and sexual abuse, as well as other forms of domestic violence, often continues from one generation to the next.